by Educational Toys Planet
Teach children about our cosmic neighborhood – Solar System!
10 fun facts about the Solar System:
- The 8 planets of the Solar System include 4 inner planets – Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars, and 4 outer planets – Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.
- The outer planets of the Solar System are made mostly of gas and water. The inner planets are made up almost entirely of rock and dust.
- The Sun, our local star, is made up of hydrogen and helium.
- There are also 5 dwarf planets: Pluto, Ceres, Eris, Makemake and Haumea.
- The band of asteroids, Asteroid Belt, is located between the orbits of the planets Jupiter and Mars.
- The hottest planet isn’t closest to the Sun. It’s Venus, the second planet.
- The coldest planet isn’t Neptune, the farthest one! It’s actually Uranus. The 7th planet from the Sun.
- Saturn is a planet well-known to kids for its rings. Jupiter, Uranus, and Neptune have ring systems, too. Just not as large as Saturn’s one.
- The word “planet” comes from Greek and means “wandering stars“.
- There are 140 known moons, natural satellites.