Best 10 Toys that Teach Coding
Our Quick Picks
You know that coding is the language of the future, but do you know what to teach your children? Here are 10 of our favorite toys that teach kids how to code. They’re some of the best!
Create Your Own Robot
Robot: Instructions and materials to make a solar-powered drawing robot. The kit contains all of the parts you need (except for a few household items) along with step-by-step instructions and an introductory guide to electronics, soldering, and Arduino programming. A full color magazine featuring a comic and activities is also included. Coding Game: A fun way to learn how computers work! The game comes with everything you need including an instruction booklet and USB cable for your computer. It is compatible with Windows XP or later operating systems as well.
- Create Your Own Robot Kit: Embark on an engineering mission to Japan with Sam and Sofia! Learn about the exciting world of engineering as you build a solar-powered robot and program it to draw. Kit also includes an interactive robot coding game that will continue to challenge your child’s mind.
- Create Your Own Rocket Kit: Discover the stars! Join Sam and Sofia in outer space to learn about astronomy, aerospace engineering, and physics. You’ll experiment with the physics of a stomp rocket as you build your own and explore astronomy through your star dome.
- Developing an interest in computer science, astronomy, and engineering
- Easy-to-follow illustrated instructions
- Hands-on activities and projects for kids
Botley the Coding Robot
Botley is a coding robot that helps your child learn to code with active, screen-free play. He has 3 modes of play: Code Games, Creativity and Fun! Use the remote control to change Botley’s mode. With Code Games, kids can learn basic programming concepts like sequencing and loops as they race against time to solve puzzles. In Creativity Mode, kids can use their imagination to design anything they want with color-coded blocks. And in Fun Mode, kids can just have fun!
- EARLY STEM SKILLS: Botley helps your child learn early STEM skills while playing and having fun. He teaches kids to code with active, screen-free play that's perfect for promoting critical thinking and problem solving skills
- READY RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX: Botley is ready to code right out of the box! Have 5 AAA batteries and a Phillips screwdriver nearby and this coding robot will have your kid coding in minutes with code games, creativity and fun (3 AAA batteries for Botley and 2 AAA for the remote programmer)
- SCREEN-FREE: Botley features completely screen-free coding: no phone or tablet required. Botley's easy-to-use remote programmer sends commands and gets him rolling. Coding for kids has never been easier
- SMART LOGIC: Botley has the ability to detect objects in front of him and avoid them. He can also follow looping commands, take on obstacle courses, and follow black-line paths. He even has hidden features to unlock
- 77-PIECE ACTIVITY SET: Coding robots are great at learning new things, so Botley comes with a remote programmer, detachable robot arms, 40 coding cards, 6 double-sided tiles, 27 obstacle building pieces and a starter guide with coding challenges
Coding and Computer Science Kit
Kids will have a blast learning about computer science with this fun, easy-to-use kit! With 30+ tools, ingredients and parts, the Playz Computer Science Kit is full of everything kids need to make binary necklaces, ancient encryption devices, sorting races, mystery mazes and much more. The fact-filled instructions book explains how computers work in easy-to-understand language while also teaching basic programming skills. Kids can use the included cards to create their own games or follow along with the activities in the book for hours of fun at home.
- EXCITING WAY TO LEARN: Inspiring young children to learn has never been more fun with this Playz science kits that allows kids to learn about computer science while creating binary necklaces, ancient encryption devices, sorting races, mystery mazes, pixelated pictures & much more! Perfect fun & hands on educational christmas or birthday gift for boys, girls, kids, & teens Ages 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12+ Years Old
- LOADED WITH VALUE: 30+ Tools, Ingredients, & Parts combined with a fun and simple instructions book make for hours of fun education at home or in the classroom.
- EASY TO USE: The fact-filled colorful lab guide is full of pictures and information giving kids hours of fun in their own home made science lab! A fun way to educate kids has never been easier!
- ENGAGES THE MIND: This STEM set challenges the child's mind as they work through the detailed easy-to-follow instruction guide, learning about classroom subjects in a fun way. You will even see test grades improve as a result. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics
- TRUST OUR PLAYZ PROMISE: Do your research! You know the quality you will get when purchasing a Playz product. If you are unhappy with your purchase, contact us at anytime for a refund.
Wonder Workshop Dash – Coding Robot for Kids 6+
Dash is a fun, friendly, and approachable robot that kids can program to do anything they can imagine. The Wonder Workshop Dash Robot comes with five free apps that teach coding basics through play. Kids use the block-based Scratch programming language – no typing required – to make Dash dance, sing, move around and even tell jokes. As kids progress from beginner to advanced levels, they’ll learn important concepts like loops and events while building fundamental coding skills.
- CREATE: Dash arrives charged and ready to go out of the box. Kids can give Dash Robot voice commands and explore loops, events, conditions, and sequences with the five free apps that come with Dash Robot. It’s more than learning to code.
- LEARN: Dash robot offers an open-ended learning platform that makes tech knowledge simple and accessible, helping kids grow into confident creative architects.
- COLLABORATE: Wonder League is an encouraging and challenging community where kids can share ideas and build confidence. Wonder Workshop’s Robotics Competitions provides opportunities for kids to work together, helping everyone learn and evolve.
- GROW: Extend the possibilities even further with Sketch Kit, Building Block Connectors, and more from Wonder Workshop. Playtime- Up to 5 hours. Standby Time- Up to 30 days. Charging- via Micro USB. Connectivity-Bluetooth Smart 4 / LE
- SCHOOLS: Dash is used in over 20, 000 schools today and expanding rapidly.
Osmo – Coding Starter Kit for iPad
Fun-filled & award winning learning games. Children interact with actual hand held pieces & an iPad, bringing a child’s game pieces & actions to life (No WiFi necessary for game play). An Osmo Base is included, an iPad is not included, both are required for game play. WHAT MAKES OSMO DIFFERENT FROM OTHER CODING TOYS? Osmo uses physical blocks that children can hold in their hands and place on the iPad screen to control the character Awbie on a fun-filled adventure.
- OSMO IS MAGIC: Fun-filled & award winning learning games. Children interact with actual hand held pieces & an iPad, bringing a child's game pieces & actions to life (No WiFi necessary for game play). An Osmo Base is included, an iPad is not included, both are required for game play.
- TEACHING: Use hands-on physical blocks, coding commands, to control the character Awbie on a fun-filled adventure (Coding Awbie), an introduction to coding. Use coding blocks to learn coding's creative side while developing an ear for rhythm, melody, and harmony - make your beat come alive, learn patterns & loops with over 300+ musical sounds (Coding Jam). Share a composed Jam with family, friends & the Jam community. Solve advanced side-by-side coding puzzles solo or with others, playing at their own level, using teamwork & strategy to unlock new worlds & coding 60+ puzzles (Coding Duo).
- SKILLS LEARNED: Logic, coding fundamentals, basics of programming, solve coding puzzles, teamwork, listening, critical thinking, observation, creative problem solving, music creation & pattern recognition. Osmo sees and reacts to real-life movement. Geared towards children & love of learning.
- AGE & CAPABILITY: Ages 5-10+. Games are designed for beginner to expert levels. Osmo enables the continuation of learning. Real-time audio and visual feedback lets children learn through experimentation in a stress-free environment.
- WHAT'S IN THE BOX: Osmo Base & Reflector for iPad, 31 tangible coding blocks including: Walk, Jump, Hand, Magic, Rest, Quantifiers (Numbers), Repeat, Subroutines, Stackable storage for game pieces, 3 Game Apps: Coding Awbie, Coding Jam & Coding Duo.
- COMPATIBILITY FOR IPAD: All iPads except Generation 1, 2, 3. iPad Reflector 2021 required for the: iPad Air 4, iPad Pro 11-inch & iPad Pro 12.9-inch. The minimum iOS version needed is iOS 10.
Kids First Coding & Robotics
Kids First Coding & Robotics introduces kids to the fundamentals of coding and robotics through a series of fun, hands-on experiments. Each experiment is designed to teach the basics of coding using simple programming blocks that are easy for young learners to understand. The 64-page, full-color experiment manual guides kids through the experiments with clear explanations and step-by-step instructions. Kids can also use their knowledge to build models and create stories about animals, dinosaurs, outer space travel, sports games and more!
- Early STEM learning: an introduction to the fundamentals of coding and robotics for grades K-2.
- Unplugged: no software, apps, or smart devices required!
- Clear explanations: the 64-page, full-color experiment manual guides kids through the coding lessons and model building exercises.
- Story-based: six different storylines are included, each with a series of model-building and coding lessons, like a mouse moving through a maze to find cheese or a soccer player moving a ball into the goal!
- English (Publication Language)
Learning Resources Coding Critters Ranger and Zip
Code along with your first coding friends and their screen-free storybook adventure in this set of three adorable pets. Each pet has a unique personality, special skills, and an interactive Playset that allows kids to design their own endless coding challenges. Use the 22-piece pet Playset to design your own games or use one of the three included play modes: Play Fetch, Hide & Seek, and Pet Care. In Play Mode, you can feed Ranger and zip their food back to them through the air!
- EARLY CODING SKILLS: Code along with your first coding friends and their screen-free storybook coding adventure
- PLAY MODE: Play fetch, hide and seek, and more with brave Ranger and mischievous Zip
- ENDLESS FUN: Design your own endless coding challenges with the 22-piece pet Playset
- REAL PET PLAY: Feed, pet, and take care of your interactive pets in play mode
- Toy of the Year Award winner for children ages 4 and up
ThinkFun Hacker Cybersecurity Coding Game for 10+
The Hacker Cybersecurity Coding Game is a cybersecurity coding game and STEM toy for boys and girls age 10 and up where you learn programming principles through fun gameplay. The object of the game is to protect your data from viruses by writing code that will cause them to be deleted. You can play as an agent or as a virus — whichever you choose, you’ll need to solve challenges that teach about cybersecurity concepts like encryption, authentication, authorization, and more!
- Trusted by Families Worldwide - With over 50 million sold, ThinkFun is the world's leader in brain and logic games.
- Develops critical skills - Playing through the challenges builds reasoning and planning skills as well as core programming principles, and provides a great stealth learning experience for young players.
- What you get - Hacker is a cybersecurity coding game and STEM toy for boys and girls age 10 and up where you learn programming principles through fun gameplay. It includes a game grid, control panel, challenge booklet, 2 agent tokens, 9 movement tiles, 13 revolving platform tiles, 5 double-sided transaction tiles, a transaction link token, 3 data file tokens, 2 exit point tokens, a virus token, alarm token, 2 lock tokens, and a solution booklet.
- Clear instructions – Easy to learn with a clear, high quality instruction manual. You can start playing immediately!
- Comes with multi-level challenges - Comes with 120 beginner to expert challenges that become increasingly difficult as you play through them.
LEGO Boost Robot Building and Coding Kit
The LEGO Boost kit is an all-in-one, hands-on building and coding experience. Kids can create five different models using the easy to follow instructions included with the free app. The kit includes 858 pieces, including gears, motors, programmable bricks and other elements that help kids learn to code without even realizing it! The kit also comes with a booklet of activities that help foster creativity and imagination through play.
- Who doesn't love robots? Introduce kids to the creative world of coding with the best educational STEM toys to foster their curiosities. Building, learning, and programming robots has never been more fun!
- Includes 847 LEGO pieces that kids can build and rebuild into 5 cool multifunctional models. The best and most popular robotics toys for 7-12 year old boys and girls who love to tinker and learn about science. Use the latest tech like color, distance and tilt sensors.
- Construct and code Vernie the Robot to dance, rock out on the Guitar4000, foster Frankie the Cat, interact with the Autobuilder, or explore a new discovery with the M.T.R.4 (Multi-Tooled Rover 4). The IQ-boosting activities are endless!
- Award-winning toy and the perfect gift for kids and teenagers. Instructions for all 5 models are included with the free LEGO BOOST app. Download in the Amazon Appstore: amazon.com/dp/B075LL7KGB. Requires 6x AAA 1.5V batteries (not included).
- Vernie the Robot stands over 10" (27cm) tall, Guitar4000 over 1” (5cm) high, 16” (42cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide, Frankie the Cat over 6” (17cm) tall, AutoBuilder over 10” (27cm) high, M.T.R.4 over 4” (12cm) high, 9” (23cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
- A tablet or mobile phone is required, but not included. Compatible with selected iOS, Android, Kindle and Windows 10 devices with BLE 4.1 and newer. Compatible with select mobile devices.
Unicornbot Building and Coding Stem Learning Kit
UnicornBot is a highly customizable, programmable robot that teaches kids to code using Blockly. With the free app, kids can create their own programs and control UnicornBot with gestures, sounds and color. Kids can also use the built-in sensors to create programs that respond to touch or light. The kit includes a USB cable for programming on Windows or Mac computers as well as a charging base and two AAA batteries for mobile play. It also comes with eight magical color cards to teach kids about colors and how they mix together!
- Introducing a brilliant, buildable, codable robot from UBTECH Robotics
- Learn to use Blockly coding to program your UnicornBot's special color sensor using eight magical color cards.
- Program the magical LED horn with different colors to customize and personalize your UnicornBot creation.
- Create entirely new, custom actions with the PRP (pose, record, play) function.
- No tools required – our 3D, 360° animated building instructions walk you through the steps.
- Includes 440 snap-together parts, 1 color sensor, 2 smooth motion robotic servo motors, 1 DC motor, 1 LED light-up unicorn horn, 1 main control box, USB cable and Quick Start Guide included.
Coding is valuable in today’s digital world. It gives kids the opportunity to use their creativity and problem solving skills, while also helping them explore STEM subjects that are becoming increasingly important for success in college or careers beyond school. Finding toys that teach coding can be difficult because there are so many different types of games available on the market. That’s why we created this list of 10 best toys that teach coding for all ages! Our team of experts scoured toy stores and online retailers alike to find some quality options you might not have known about before reading our article. Whether your child loves Legos or they prefer a more traditional board game, these top 10 choices will surely delight any learner who wants to get started with programming basics.